If you are in the market to get an epoxy coating applied to a garage, basement or other concrete floor, I have a few suggestions. They will help you to pick the right, professional floor coating company (or, for that matter, a contractor for any assistance you need).
Read Reviews on 3rd Party Website
People can write whatever they like their website. They control the content. So, instead of trusting the “testimonials” on a contractor’s website, take a few minutes to do the following:
1) Check their reviews on Angie’s List. Those reviews are mostly supplied by Angie’s List customers. Some may be from non-AL homeowners, but they receive less weight. The very best companies receive the Super Service Award for their service area.
2) Check their reviews on HomeAdvisor.com. Just like Angie’s List, HomeAdvisor will not allow a company to be listed unless they are properly licensed and insured.
Check with local Home Builders
Chances are home builders in the same service area will know something about the specific contractor you are looking in to. See if the home builders have utilized their services for a customer’s home or a model home (or a Parade of Homes/Home-A-Rama/Street of Dreams entry).
If not home builders, there are usually other types of trades who interact with a contractor. In our case, we regularly work with closet/garage organization companies, along with commercial lease/management companies. We work with dozens of home builders too.
Talk to the Contractor’s Customers
Don’t just ask for referrals. Ask them for a customer where something went wrong. Find out how they handled the problems that arose. Do enough projects and something is bound to go wrong. Sometimes it’s beyond the contractor’s control (like the frog that jumps into the wet coatings right after we leave); sometimes a homeowner forgets what to do or not do (we find footsteps in our fresh coatings) and sometimes we goof up (we return to coat a garage step that got missed on the work order).Ask to see projects they have completed that are open to the public. We regularly send prospective coatings customers to see work we have done in frozen yogurt shops, service garages, restaurants and model homes.
Wrapping it up
Nobody or no company is perfect. Be responsible and take good care of your customer. Stuff happens, but it doesn’t mean you don’t make it right.
Want to see how we are doing?
- Stronghold Floors earned the esteemed 2013 Angie’s List Super Service Award for the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York and the Philadelphia area.
- Both of our locations (Baltimore, Maryland and Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania) have “A” ratings on Angie’s List.
- We have received great recommendations on LinkedIn by heads of companies you might recognize (Carlisle Events & Flight Systems Electronics Group).
- We have been featured in dozens of homes in the PA Parade of Homes and PA Home-A-Rama.
- Our coatings will be featured in the 2014 PA Street of Dreams.
UPDATE (June 2015)
- We again earned the Angie's List Super Service Awards for 2014.
- Our Maryland location has 12 A ratings in a row!
- We now have homebuilders in Virginia who utilize our coatings in their garages for both model/spec homes and custom builds.
- Two more Organizational Partner companies have started offering our garage floor coatings.
Mike Mincemoyer is the President & Business Development Manager of Stronghold Floors. He works with dozens of home builders and 5 home organization companies on a regular basis in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
If you are interested in working with Stronghold Floors, give us a call at 888.577.0452.